Porterville, CA – On March 25, 2020, Regional Forester Randy Moore issued a Closure Order for all developed recreation sites across all National Forests in the Region. This closure order is likely to be in place through early May. Additional details will follow later this week.
The USDA Forest Service’s highest priority is ensuring our employees and visitors remain safe as we support mission critical functions for the people and communities we serve.
This closure excludes trails, trailheads and specific picnic areas, boat launches and staging areas that function as trailheads for dispersed recreation.
While these specific areas remain open for use, we recommend complying with local and state guidance and not traveling for your recreation needs.
If you do plan on visiting the Sequoia National Forest, please be aware that:
- No trash removal is currently offered – please pack out all trash and waste
- All toilet facilities are currently closed – please plan accordingly
- Avoid high-risk activities – law enforcement and search and rescue operations may be limited
- If an area is crowded, please search for a less occupied location
Forest officials would like to provide these TREAD LIGHTLY principles to ALL National Forest visitors:
T – Travel Responsibly, obey the rules of the road or trails
R – Respect the Rights of Others, please practice physical distancing
E – Educate Yourself, know before you go… www.lnt.org
A – Avoid Sensitive Areas – do not create your own trails, or parking areas.
D – Do Your Part – call ahead to determine where you can go.
Closing any site for any reason is not one we take lightly, but protecting our visitors and employees remains our highest priority. We are working with our state and local partners to determine the best path forward to safely reopening closed sites.
Please call your local Ranger Station Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm or email SM.FS.SequoiaNF@usda.gov for current SQNF information.
- Kern River Ranger District 760-549-9533
- Western Divide Ranger District 559-920-0460
- Hume Lake Ranger District 559-791-5758
Supervisor’s Office 559-920-1588