Ridgecrest, CA – Increasing southwesterly winds will lead to critical fire conditions across the southern Sierra and southern Nevada today and Thursday. The National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag Warning, which is in effect from 3 PM this afternoon to 9:00 pm PDT Thursday.
* TIMING…Critical fire weather conditions along the east slopes of the Southern Sierra are expected to peak during the late afternoon through mid evening hours due to favorable strong downslope wind conditions today and Thursday.
* WIND…Southwest to west winds gusting 35 to 50 MPH.
* HUMIDITY…Minimum values below 10 percent.
* IMPACTS…Any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly. A combination of strong winds…low relative humidity…and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.
* AFFECTED AREAS: OWENS VALLEY/SOUTHERN INYO FOREST
Outdoor burning is not recommended. Heed all fire restrictions by local authorities.