Kernville, CA The Forest Service is seeking citizens to volunteer as members of the Kern and Tulare Counties Resource Advisory Committee (RAC) for a few days each year. The RAC provides recommendations on how federal dollars should be used in the Kern and Tulare Counties and may also review proposed fee changes for recreation sites in the Sequoia National Forest. Fifteen members will be appointed by the Department of Agriculture to serve under the Federal Advisory Committee Act.

Nominees are needed to represent the diverse social, economic, and environmental interests of forest users. This is a unique opportunity to provide advice and recommendation on the management of the National Forest System lands in Kern or Tulare Counties. Member terms are four years, and RAC members must be a resident of California.

Members are needed to represent the following areas:

  • represent organized labor or non-timber forest product harvester groups;
  • represent developed outdoor recreation, off-highway vehicle users, or commercial recreation activities;
  • represent energy and mineral development interests; or commercial or recreational fishing interests;
  • hold Federal grazing or other land use permits, or represent nonindustrial private forest landowners, within the area for which the committee is organized;
  • represent the commercial timber industry;
  • represent nationally recognized environmental organizations;
  • represent regionally or locally recognized environmental organizations;
  • represent dispersed recreational activities;
  • represent archaeological and historical interests, or nationally or regionally recognized wild horse and burro interest groups, wildlife or hunting organizations, or watershed associations;
  • hold State elected office (or a designee);
  • hold county or local elected office;
  • represent American Indian tribes within or adjacent to the area for which the committee is organized;
  • school officials or teachers; or represent the affected public at large.

Applications to serve on the committee are available at

Individuals may nominate themselves or others to serve on a RAC. It is recommended that nominees be residents of Kern or Tulare Counties. Applicants will be reviewed based on their training, education, and knowledge of the RAC’s geographic area. Nominees should also demonstrate a commitment to consensus building and collaborative decision-making. A cover letter and resume, as well as a completed RAC application (AD755), must accompany all nominations. Nominees must identify what interest group they represent and how they are qualified to represent that group.

Supporting documents and application should be submitted to the Sequoia National Forest RAC Coordinator Penelope Shibley by email at or mailed to 11380 Kernville Road, Kernville, CA 93238.

Additional information on the program is available at or by contacting District Ranger, Alfred Watson, at

Since 2010, this program has distributed $678,661 in federal funds to nonprofit groups, conservation districts, tribes, and other agencies for projects in Kern and Tulare counties. Funds have supported projects such as fuel reduction on private land adjoining the forest, volunteer trail maintenance, and cleanup of the Tule and Kern Wild and Scenic Rivers. Project proposals may be submitted online at