Porterville, CA — The USDA Forest Service, Sequoia National Forest (SQF) announced that developed recreation sites will remain closed on the Western Divide Ranger District until May 20, the Hume Lake Ranger District until June 11, and the Kern River Ranger District until May 21.
The purpose of Forest Orders, 0513-20-07, 0513-20-08, and 0513-20-09 are to protect public and employee health and safety, along with protection of natural and cultural resources. In addition, dispersed recreation sites are closed on the Western Divide Ranger District (Forest Order 0513-20-06) through November 30. Forest Orders are available online at fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoia/notices/?cid=FSEPRD539396 and remain in effect until expired or rescinded.
The orders do not close trails, trailheads, and general forest areas, which remain open for public use. Information on individual recreation sites and opportunities are available from local National Forests.
The value of nature to promote mental and physical health comes at a time when access is vital to the American public. We are working diligently to reopen our campgrounds and picnic areas for full access and ask that visitors be patient during this transition period. Be prepared for other options if your trail is closed, and whenever possible, recreate locally.
We continue to ask visitors to recreate locally and to please do your part by understanding the following:
- PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING: Provide space of at least 6 feet at all times during your visit.
- DO NOT GATHER IN GROUPS: Follow the latest guidance from officials.
- SHARE THE TRAIL: Alert other trail users of your presence and step aside to let them pass.
- PACK OUT YOUR TRASH: Leave with everything you bring in and use.
If you do plan on visiting the National Forest please be aware that:
- No trash removal is currently offered – please pack out all trash and waste
- All toilet facilities are currently closed – please plan accordingly
- Avoid high-risk activities – law enforcement and search and rescue operations may be limited
- If an area is crowded, please search for a less occupied location
The safety of our employees and the public will continue to be our number one priority as we closely monitor the situation and implement changes accordingly.
|Please call your local Ranger Station Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm or email SM.FS.SequoiaNF@usda.gov for current SQF information.
Kern River Ranger District 760-549-9533